Can A Job Cause Depression?
There are many benefits to having a job but there are also many downsides. In this post, I will detail the pros and cons of a job and how this impacts individuals.
Pros of a job
- Your bank balance will increase. Of course, the primary reason people go for a job is to earn money. This is no myth and it is a huge motivation for any person who has a job. I’m sure if you’re in your workplace, the concept of pay day always lingers on people’s mind.
- You will become closer to being independent. Earning money will allow you to live freely and in having a job, you will soon realise that there will be more aspects of your life which you are now doing yourself rather than relying on other people.
- Meet new people! When you do get the job, you will instantly be introduced to new people who you will get to know and they will become your friends. Not only will they be able to help you personally and help with dilemmas at home but they can most certainly help you professionally. These colleagues are new contacts for you and you will be prone to new opportunities.
- You will learn new skills and polish the skills that you already have. Being in a job, you will have to do tasks daily so this will inevitably step up your game and will ensure that you become competent in the field you are currently in.
Cons of a job
- Stress! You will be doing a job where you have to complete tasks within a certain time frame. This can cause you to be stressed and can make you feel down, especially if you work from home as well.
- You may feel tired and exhausted from the work load and you feel like there isn’t enough time to have fun and do the things you want. This is the case for most people. I would suggest to take some holiday or to change shifts. Do whatever it is you have to do for you to feel happy and for you to be able to do the things you want to do.
- Your mental and physical health may go down if you are constantly thinking about work and you’re always stressing about what happened. You may have had a bad day at work and you bring those problems home which means your life is not going so well. Try to keep the work load at work and when you leave work, spend this time to enjoy life and to spend some time with loved ones.
A lot of the pros and cons of a job which I have not mentioned above are conditional, such as: Salary, Job Satisfaction, Shift Pattern, Manager Relationship etc. There are many conditional factors which will determine whether or not you are happy in your job.
I always say that you should live life to be happy and to do the things you wish to do in life. Don’t be tied down or do something which you have no interest or passion in.